[hpsdr] New PSDR and penny power

Ken ke2n at cs.com
Sun Mar 15 16:10:30 PDT 2009

>>Ken -- re power out on CW -- try the latest code (28 Feb 2009).

Bill - Thanks. That works better for power measurement. The indicated power
matches my Diamond SX-1000 very closely. The auto calibration on the "PA
settings" tab throws off an error message. I used manual calibration to set
all the bands to 330 mw output (except 6m).

I only get 100 mw out on 6m.  (If I bypass the on board filter I can get 275
mw). On the other bands I get an indicated 500 mw or a little more, if I
wanted to.
=======
I found I have to use Mercury for the clocks to avoid popping noises. Maybe
there is some slot number issue? I remember reading about this some time
ago.
========
As a general question:

Since I don't need 500 mw for my transverters, this brings up the question
of what power level to run it at for a clean signal (for modes other than
CW/FM).  The data sheet for the OPA is not clear on this, but it appears
that in a transformer-coupled differential amplifier with a 70 ohm load
impedance you would want to keep the peak-to-peak voltage swing to about 14
volts or less, for a clean signal (see p 12 and fig 5). By my calculation
that is just about 330 mw.
=========

73
Ken