[hpsdr] A view from the periphery.

Phil Harman phil at pharman.org
Wed May 13 19:01:22 PDT 2009

> Now then, an appeal to the clever people, when is the BlasterBineries
> update going to make the transition from beta to regular use?  I'm
> really looking forward to the next update and being able to unleash the
> full potential of this wonderful kit.
>
> Jeff Cook G0AFQ.

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your question regarding BlasterBineries. The process we
developed to update the EEPROM chips on the various HPSDR boards was
intended as a temporary  measure until we found a more automatic way of
doing it.

It would appear that many users have been able to use the *.bat files to
update the code but I'm sure there are others who would be happier if we
automated the process.

One of our members volunteered some time ago to take on the task of
automating the process but progress has been slow due to some unfortunate
personal events. I don't have a reliable time line as to when this may be
completed.

The versions of code currently in USBBlaster-Binaries appear to have an
issue on some PC's in that 192kHz sampling/2048k buffers produces poor
audio.  Nether Bill KD5TFD nor I can reproduce this problem so it makes
debugging difficult.

However, Alpha testing of Kirk's KD7IRS new code does appear to totally
fix the problem so we have solid path to the future.  Unfortunately there
are a few issues still with his code that means we can't release it yet
and he is away from home at the moment and unable to work on the code.

If the lack of automatic FPGA code update  is becoming a major issue for
users then we may have to ask for another volunteer to step forward and
develop the FX2 code that will support this feature.

I trust this clarifies the current situation.

73's Phil...VK6APH