[hpsdr] Alex and my confusion

Chris Smith chris at vspl.co.uk
Mon Oct 5 02:27:55 PDT 2009

Hi

I think I can be forgiven for getting confused about the status of
Alex. In my post of 3rd Oct I said:

I would vote for a board populated with all *BUT* the toroids and
would try and source those locally - given the specifications.
<snip>

This was in response to Scotty's post of 6th Aug:

Alex:
I have not been able to get the toroids built in a cost effective or
time effective manner, so you get the privilege of winding your own.

We will build the boards without the toroids installed. The boards
will be partially assembled, either just the SMT parts or SMT plus
relays and connectors, depending on how good a deal the CM makes us on
the assembly. We will supply the cores and wire for you to wind your
own coils.
<snip>

Then John N8UR posted on 4th Oct:

3.  Alex is a fairly complicated product with lots of solder joints.
If we offer a completed unit, we can test it and verify performance
before we ship.  We've done that with all the previous assembled
boards, and I think you'll agree that very few manufacturing problems
made it to the field.  If we offer a partially assembled board, we
won't be able to do that testing.

  <snip>

   It may turn out that we just can't solve the toroid problem, but a
partial kit offering means we will have to deal with these issues ...
<snip>

SO, sorry if I jumped the gun by saying what my preference would be
but I was unaware that there was still a chance that Alex would/could
be supplied assembled & tested. That would be the ideal position as
far as I'm concerned.

I will now withdraw my head below the parapet before I get shot at! :-)

Cheers & 73

Chris
G4NUX