[hpsdr] LPU building tip

David M. Witten II wittend at wwrinc.com
Wed Sep 30 07:33:33 PDT 2009

For anyone who is yet planning to build an LPU board for their HPSDR
setup, I have a little trick the saved me some time.

The LPU is straightforward to build, a small linear power supply board
that plugs into Atlas via a standard ATX power supply connector.  The
only thing about building the board that I found at all daunting was the
need to cut and crimp all the small pieces of wire needed to connect the
ATX connector to the board.

For once, a simpler solution presented itself to me *before* I started
crimping & soldering.  It happened that I had an old ATX power supply
sitting on my desk waiting to be disposed of.  I realized that it had
the connector and the wires already assembled for me.  All that was
needed was to cut off the connector, leaving the wires at a suitable
length. I just stripped them and soldered them to the LPU.  It saved me
a good bit of time.

Dave Witten
KD0EAG