[hpsdr] Versioning Machpsdr and Auto firmware update for MacHPSDR

John James jhjames3 at comcast.net
Wed Aug 11 17:27:37 PDT 2010

Jeremy,
"versioning numbers":
I think you should rethink your version numbering system. I think every runtime program should carry a version number that distinguished it from other versions however slight changes maybe in them. Then when you find a run time version in the wild you could tell what features are included in it.

You seem to change your version number very rarely. I suggest you revise it so that the current number
0.1.0.013 would be 0.1.13.N. Each of your recent updates would have a new N value. When you are ready for a new release you would change the 13 to a 14.

"Auto Update of firmware" suggestion":
I was wondering how the firmware update was coming along. I think this is a great Idea and am looking forward as a MacHPSDR user to using it. (I have not heard any discussion of the topic recently on Teamspeak.)

I have a suggestion of how it might work a little differently than what you have described. Instead of automatically updating to the "Latest" version. Maybe it could have a popup menu that would come up and allow the user to select from a list of versions. Any new program start up would start with the popup at the last version installed but would allow for easy selection of newly downloaded versions.

This would allow users to easily select spiffy but side versions of the FPGA code like Bill's recent WSPR code (PennyWSPR) for Penny. It may not be the main line version but the user may want to select his version with his call etc.

John - k1ym