[hpsdr] PennyWSPR - Instructions on Loading FPGA code using Ozy Blaster

Richard Stasiak rstasiak at sympatico.ca
Sun Aug 22 07:54:09 PDT 2010

Task - Loading PennyWSPR verilog code into the Penelope FPGA using Ozy
Blaster

Steps:
1) Download Bill KD5TFD's PennyWSPR code svn://64.245.179.219/svn/repos_sdr_hpsdr/trunk/PennyWSPR
  and follow the steps in his readme to create your own customized
version with your own call sign and grid square.

2) If you want to customize the code ie. different bands, transmit
cycle etc., use Quartus II to modify PennyWSPR.v. I I have Quartus 8.1
on my system and it worked just fine.  Bill says this code is just one
step above 'hello world' code.  I was able to make some sense of it
after much study. I guess my Verilog skills are at the 'hello world'
level.  Once you have the code the way you like it, rebuild it.
Modify and rebuilt it again if you have any compilation errors.

3) In your PennyWSPR directory there will be a file, PennyWSPR.pof.
You would use this file and your JTAG blaster to program Penny.
However, if you do not have a JTAG blaster you have another option to
program Penny using Ozy configured to be a programmer.

To do this create a PennyWSPR.jic file:
- Using Quartus II, go to File - Convert Programming Files and fill in
the following text boxes.

In the Output Programming file section:
-Select Programming file type - JTAG Indirect Configuration File (.jic)
Configuration device EPCS4
File name PennyWSPR.jic (or any other descriptive file name of your
choice using .jic)
There are no other selections to make in the Output Programming file
section.

In the Input files to convert section:
- Highlight Flash Loader. Then select 'Add device'.  In Device family,
tick Cyclone II. In Device name, tick EP2C8. Click OK.
- Highlight SOF data. Then select 'Add file'. You should default to
your PennyWSPR directory.  Select PennyWSPR.sof and click Open.

Click 'Generate' button at the bottom of this page.  If everything is
ok you should have a "Generated output file .jic successfully" message.

Close the Convert Programming Files page.

Now, you can close Quartus II or just minimize it.

Using Explorer - Check that you have a PennyWSPR.jic file in your
PennyWSPR directory.

4) Next using Explorer we will add/modify some of Phil's files in the
Ozy blaster directory. If you don't have these files get them from the
OpenHPSDR svn.

- Make a copy of PennyWSPR.jic and place it in the Ozy blaster files
directory.

- Create a PennyWSPR.cdf file.  Right click on Penelope_V1.1.cdf,
click Edit.  Select File-Save As and save this file as PennyWSPR.cdf.
Change the text in 6th line "Device PartName(EPC2C8)
File("Penelope_v1.1.jic")......etc." to
"Device PartName(EPC2C8) File("PennyWSPR.jic")....... etc".
Click File-Save, then close the editor.

- Modify Program-Penelope-EPCS4.bat.  Right click on Program-Penelope-
EPCS4.bat. Click Edit.
Scroll down through the file.

In the section, "prompt the user for the file to use", add the
following line after the line beginning Echo B,
"Echo C. Program using PennyWSPR" (Don't include the quotations).

Scroll down some more.  In the section, %Choice%,
Add "If /I '%Choice%'=='C' GOTO ItemC" after the Item B choice line.
(Don't include the quotations).

One last set of additions.  In the last section, add these two lines
just before the GOTO CONTINUE statement.
":ItemC
%DIRECTORY% -C USB-BLASTER PennyWSPR.cdf"  (Don't include the
quotations).

Click Save and exit.

5) Now you should be able to program Penelope with the PennyWSPR
verilog code.  Install your Ozy and Penelope in the Atlas board, run
Program-Penelope-EPCS4.bat and select PennWSPR as the code to install.

6) Connect and antenna and have fun with PennyWSPR.

Thanks to Bill KD5TFD and Phil VK6APH for making their hard work
available to us to enjoy.

73

Rick ve3mm