[hpsdr] HPSDR software direction

Frank Brickle brickle at pobox.com
Wed Aug 4 19:46:17 PDT 2010

Hi Pete --

DttSP sdr-core is currently undergoing a complete rewrite from the ground
up. It uses C++ down at the metal, and is otherwise built completely in
Erlang/OTP.

I believe that Flex decided in the end to go their own way in the design of
their new software.

At the moment we're evaluating what will be required to incorporate GNU
Radio programs in the new code -- we're calling it SDeRl -- as well. One
idea here is to be able to use the USRP and USRP2 as reference platforms.

73
Frank
AB2KT

On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 8:30 PM, n3evl <n3evl at townisp.com> wrote:

> It seems like there are lots of interesting ideas out there and lots of
> opportunities to go in one direction or another.  I'll certainly take a look
> at the Athena project - not sure how I missed the existence of this - any
> reason why it does not have its own tab on the main hpsdr web site with a
> link to the Wiki? (assuming I didn't miss it!).
>
> Some other thoughts:
>
> Is anyone up to speed on the recent developments on the Dttsp group?  I
> must admit I haven't kept up to date with emails from that side of things
> but I assume there is some overlap with developments there and hpsdr -
> anyone have updates on applicability to hpsdr?
>
> Also, can anyone comment on the effort initiated by Frank, AB2KT with
> respect to his Erlang-based ideas which I think may be the basis of Flex's
> Deep Impact?  IIRC, Frank's ideas capture a lot of the requirements being
> bandied about here and would support many of the advanced concepts while
> refraining from enforcing any particular language or OS for the various
> components.  I believe one of it's attractive features was the relative
> simplicity of distributing the component pieces across one or more computers
> (and OSs and languages) courtesy of a relatively small amount of Erlang
> 'glue.'
>
> Pete, N3EVL

Go listen:
http://www.wqxr.org/q2