[hpsdr] Finally getting around to getting Penelope working: having problems

george byrkit ghbyrkit at chartermi.net
Tue Dec 28 11:01:04 PST 2010

I have a Penelope that I got from Gerd in April of 2009.  It's been sitting
around, unused until recently.  I got a Hercules from another ham in the Ann
Arbor, Michigan area around the end of November this year.  That caused me
to finally start to get things working over the Christmas holidays this
year.

In order to test and calibrate Hercules, I need Penelope to work!

So, I've tried to 'fire up' penelope using PowerSDR and KISS.  Both seem to
indicate that Penelope is 'not there', and show a version of 0 for penelope.
Both D1 and D7 are 'on' on Penelope.  Jumpers are according to the
'standard' Penelope jumpering instructions (incl NO jumper on JP7 - last
JTAG.)

Using the 'initozy11.bat' file from PennyMerge, the first set of Writei2c
(to device 0x1a) all fail, but the second set, labelled as 'for Penny', to
device 0x1b, all succeed.

Excalibur is in J1
Ozy is in J3
Penelope is in J4
Mercury is in J5
(J2 and J6 are empty)

Does anyone have any advice, tips or suggestions as to what is going on?  Or
what to test next and/or how to proceed?

(even a sharp software guy can be perplexed by hardware on some occasions!)

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all,
Vy 73,
George Byrkit, K9TRV