[hpsdr] Noob LPU question

Dan Babcock n4xwe at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 5 08:25:23 PST 2010

Hi Larry,

It has been a while since I built my LPU but I remember  the assembly procedure
for the regulators and heatsinks well.  You are  correct the heatsinks are
soldered to the PCB.  The assembly sequence is  to 1) Apply a small amount of
thermal compound, (CPU heatsink compound  or 20% zinc oxide compound from the
pharmacy) to the back of each of the  regulators 2) Attach the regulators to the
heatsinks with the provided  hardware.  In order to make the alignment and
soldering of the regulator  pins easier, do not tighten the hardware. 3) Align
the regulator pins  and the heatsink pins with the holes in the PCB. 4)  Solder
the  heatsinks to the PCB. Hint: If you don't have an assistant to hold the
parts in place, wind three or four turns of solder wire around a pair of  needle
nose  pliers with a diameter large enough to fit over the heatsink pin.  5)
Solder the regulator pins to the PCB. 6) Tighten the hardware.

The  only caveat is to make sure you put each regulator / heatsink in the
correct position on the board.  It is easy to mess this up and almost
impossible to fix.

One other suggestion based on my experience.   There is some freedom of movement
with the positioning of the ATX  connector.  Make sure that you don't
inadvertently cover the through hole on the  PCB for one of the leads of the
large ceramic resistor with the edge of  that connector.

73,

Dan N4XWE