[hpsdr] Pennylane

Jeremy McDermond mcdermj at xenotropic.com
Tue Dec 21 16:11:55 PST 2010

On Dec 21, 2010, at 2:00 PM, Gordon & Lois Duff wrote:

> I have Penny.  Why would I want Pennylane.  I looked in the archives and could find no description of what I would gain.  Am I looking in the wrong place?

The biggest feature about Pennylane is what Phil has explained in an earlier message.  On Penelope the way we vary the power output is by scaling the magnitude of the samples going into the DAC.  This causes us to use less of the 16-bit sample size on the DAC, which decreases the S/N on the transmitter.  Instead of doing this, Pennylane has a separate control for power out, like Hermes, that vary's the output of the DAC without reducing the number of bits going into it.  This makes for a better S/N ratio from the transmitter.

--
Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)
Xenotropic Systems
mcdermj at xenotropic.com