[hpsdr] Pennylane

Phil Harman phil at pharman.org
Tue Dec 21 16:56:59 PST 2010

Hi Gordon,

Jeremy is quite correct in his explanation of the differences between
Penelope and PennyLane.

PennyLane makes use of the improvements we made to the Penelope schematic
when we developed Hermes.  There are two improvements.

1. We vary the power output by varying the DAC current rather than the
amplitude of the I & Q signals.  As far as I am aware most SDRs use the
latter method so Penelope is in good company.

This is really only an issue if you use Penelope to generate a very low
level signal - say less than 10mW. In which case you should place an
resistive attenuator on either the input or output of the LPF that follows
the DAC. That way you can drive the DAC harder and maintain a high S/N
ratio. Alternatively fit the resistive divider at the output and use the
low level output connector.

2. We split the PA stage into two gain stages to give a more constant
power output vs. frequency and more output on 6m.

If your current Penelope board meets your needs then there is no reason to
purchase a PennyLane board.

PennyLane will be plug compatible with Penelope and supported by all the
current HPSDR software.

73 Phil...VK6APH