[hpsdr] Penelope changes for Excalibur?

n3evl n3evl at townisp.com
Sat Jan 2 15:14:36 PST 2010

I'm almost finished construction of Excalibur and will be ready to try
it out soon.

I seem to recall some discussion relating to disabling the on-board
10MHz osc on Penelope.

Have I remembered this correctly and is this considered an essential
hardware change?

Is it only Penelope that is affected (I don't remember seeing any
similar discussion for Mercury)?

I plan (initially) on using Excalibur's on board TXCO but will likely
add an external ref later.

Can any of the Penelope/Excalibur resident experts clarify the need for
this possible change and provide details (picture would be nice) of
exactly what/where/how to achieve this.

Thanks, and Happy New Year to all on the HPSDR list.

Pete, N3EVL