[hpsdr] LPU internal 12V feedthrough connectors

Scott Cowling scotty at tonks.com
Tue Jul 6 09:34:11 PDT 2010

Hi Luke,

The LPU is fabricated with 1 oz copper on the two layers. The trace
between the two power-poles is 0.1" (2.54mm) wide.  For a 20C
temperature rise, the maximum continuous current rating is about 6.5A.

For peak current calculations, the trace is about 45mm long and
2.54mm wide, with a resistance of 9.4 milli-Ohms. At 18A, you will
get about a 170mV drop in the trace resistance. More importantly, you
could get excessive heating in the trace, depending on your average current.

You won't have trace-width limitations on the -V since it uses a
plane for interconnect. However, the thermal reliefs, while very
short, are pretty narrow.

My recommendation is that you add an external wire in parallel with
the trace/plane between both the +V and -V power-pole terminals.

The power-poles themselves are rated for 45A, so they should not be a problem.

Good luck, and let us know how it works out!

73,
Scotty WA2DFI