[hpsdr] Potential New openHPSDR Project

ea2dfh at javierromera.com ea2dfh at javierromera.com
Sun Jul 11 01:32:37 PDT 2010

Hi all,

I'm happy with new idea. I've been woking (mainly on my mind) about this
idea since one year ago.

I began with a OMAPL137 kit and now I'm waiting for a Hawkboard delivery.

In my opinion, we must consider two important points:

* Use of a floating point DSP (A 32 bit at same speed can perform well too)
* A separate processor for DSP and user/communications/... interface.

A system conceived this way has a completely predictable performance in
terms of DSP, independent of the use for the rest of components.

Following this way, an OMAPL138 seems a perfect candidate, but another
approach can consider two separate processors. A powerful cortex A8 as GPU
and a Analog Devices SHARC for DSP is an even more powerful solution with
the same approach. Visually, separation of two processors is attractive
from a experimentation and learning vewpoint.

EA2DFH, Javier