[hpsdr] Please more info on reusing an analog rig for HPSDR

Joe Martin K5SO k5so at valornet.com
Wed Jun 16 11:58:49 PDT 2010

Hello Ben,

The specifics of what to do will depend upon which analog rig you are
trying to use but basically the general steps are similar for any of
them.

For transmit, the idea is to break the existing exciter to power
amplifier coaxial connection and allow the Penelope board to drive the
PA instead.  I simply brought that line out the back of the IC-7800
and inserted coaxial connectors so that I can directly couple them
together for normal IC-7800 operation or break them to insert the
Penelope rf output to the IC-7800 PA instead.  You do need to be
careful with the rf levels though.  In the case of the IC-7800 I use
about 33 dB of attenuation between the 0.5w Penelope output and the
IC-7800 PA input to get the correct drive level for the IC-7800 PA.

You want Penelope running at a high output level so that you don't
lose dynamic range so external attenuation pads are the way to do that
most easily if 0.5w drive is too much.  Of course, if you don't want
to use external attenuators you can simply bypass the output stage of
Penelope and use the low level from its driver stage directly, as has
been discussed previously here.  Using one of the open collector
outputs on the Penelope board DB-25 connector is a handy way to switch
the analog transceiver into Tx mode via, for example, the ACC-1 jack
on the rear panel of the IC-7800 when the HPSDR rig is keyed; that's
what I do.  Usually inserting the Penelope output at the input of the
analog PA will keep the Tx bandpass filtering intact so you need not
worry about filters for Tx.

Break-in operation works alright in this way if you setup the break-in
keying option in PowerSDR.  Of course the T/R relay will open and
close on each dit and dah so true break-in results in lots of relay
clattering.  I usually set the break-in time delay for a second or
more so that the T/R relay doesn't open and close on each and every
dit/dah (semi-break-in)!

For receive, the idea is to use the T/R switching of the analog rig to
provide the antenna connection to the Mercury receiver board.  Some
rigs have rear panel connections that let you do that very simply,
others will involve accessing the T/R relay connections internally.
If you use the existing T/R connections directly to Mercury you will
not have a band pass filter on Rx but unless you're in a terrible QTH
with lots of strong out of band signals nearby that's not really a
problem.  If it is a problem you can make your Rx connection to
Mercury after the band pass filtering of the analog rig and use the
bandpass function of the analog rig (or wait until Alex is available!).

A while back (Jan 10, 2009) I posted the details of how we did a
modification to a Kenwood TS-940S to mate it with the HPSDR boards.  I
will send that info to you separately so that I don't make this
message too long.  If others would like it too I'll be happy to
forward it to them as well.  As I said, the details of what exactly to
do depends very much on the analog rig you've selected to use but the
steps described for the TS-940S are representative to what you might
need to do on other rigs, I think.

The Alex filter board is soon to be available so filters won't be a
problem soon!

Hope that general description helps some!   We can discuss in more
detail directly if you like.

73,  Joe K5SO