[hpsdr] HERMES schedule question

Ray Page page.ray at gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 15:37:43 PDT 2010

Jeremy,

I thought about that. And will likely incorporate a Gig-E interface rather
than USB due to the time-line that I expect to have. I may be
misunderstanding something though. The Ozy-II will still be processing
baseband, right? In other words, the FPGA is processing the ADC samples to
create I/Q data that _then_ gets passed to the PC via USB, or Ethernet? The
raw data coming out of the ADC is 16 x 122.88 MHz, which translates to
1.966Gbps. So, unless some form of compression is used, I don't see how we
can get this down a Gig-E pipe.

Fiber-optic stuff always seems to have the WOW factor, but it is really
pretty simple once you get into it. Inside the FPGA, connections will be
made nearly identically to how they are now with the exception that the
connections are to the virtual parallel port versus the actual parallel port
of the ADC/DAC, etc. The cool thing is that all the virtual parallel
port/fiber-optic code already exist, it's time-tested, and I own it, so it's
available to us.

Gig-E can go 100m (and maybe this was your point in the first place), which
is well beyond USB, so the entire rig can live close to the base of the
antenna minimizing the advantage of fiber.  Hmmm... have to think about
that. It certainly eliminates the exposure to weather issue that an
antenna-mounted device would be subjected to. I'm sure the expense would be
lower as well. I can hear the air leaving my bubble.

-Ray