[hpsdr] OZY II: USB vs Ethernet ?

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 11:29:34 PST 2010

Ethernet has several major advances.  First off every computer already
has drivers that accept UDP packets over Eithernet.  You you gain
universal compatabilty.

Also and I think this is a huge factor is the cables can be longer.  I
could place the SDR electronic package near the antenna.  This allows
for a very short coax feed line, with low loss and low cost.  Then I
only need a cat5 wire to plug into a home gigabit router.

Also safety.  I can always choose to use a fiber optic cable and no
longer care about lightening

If one wanted to run the SDR remotely that high rate I/Q data will not
go over today's internet.  But you can inside a computer process the
I/Q to low data rate audio and even compress it with a telcom cedec
and send even duplex voice over most internet connections

Eithernet give you a huge anount of cabling flexibilty.  and lets you
connect to any number of computers at the same time.  USB cabes are
short and can't make a long 100 meter run.

On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 10:32 AM, John Petrich <petrich at u.washington.edu> wrote:

> Have been following the development of OZY II on TeamSpeak and the Wiki with
> interest.
>
> A question: What is the place for an Ethernet interface with HPSDR?  Would
> such a high data rate interface have any performance impact for CW or voice
> mode use thru PowerSDR?  Or, is the benefit of an Ethernet HPSDR interface
> to be seen with advanced digital signaling such as digital TV using HPSDR?
> Or, is an Ethernet interface just an alternative interface that makes sense
> for some systems and not for others?  I'm at sea.
>
> John Petrich, W7FU

=====
Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California