[hpsdr] Frequency and mode data to logging program with Magister HPSDR

John Petrich petrich at u.washington.edu
Thu May 20 13:57:13 PDT 2010

All,

Want to interface my DXLab logging program with my Magister based HPSDR rig.
Has anyone had success?

With my setup, the DXLab logging program is running on computer "A" and the
Power SDR for HPSDR is running on computer "B".  Computer "B" in turn
connects to the rig thru the USB connection on Magister.  Simply connecting
the COM 1 ports of each computer together and enabling the CAT commands in
both pieces of software has not been successful at getting the logging data.
I've tried the Kenwood protocol and all of the Flex protocols in both
programs with no success.  What am I doing wrong?

Am thinking that a potential solution to my problem is to get serial data
directly off the Magister board and connect that serial data directly to my
logging computer.  Maybe, in that way, the logging program will see a direct
serial connection to the rig.   I am unable to decipher the labeling on the
published schematic for the Magister DB-9 pinout, and I cannot tell if
RS-232 serial data is actually connected to that DB-9 connector.  Maybe
RS-232 data is connected to one of the unused headers on the Magister board?
I'm at sea.

Am frustrated that I cannot get the logging program on computer "A" to talk
to my rig that runs on computer "B".

Any help is appreciated and thank you in advance.

John Petrich, W7FU