[hpsdr] Frequency and mode data to logging program with Magister HPSDR

Jeremy McDermond mcdermj at xenotropic.com
Thu May 20 14:20:39 PDT 2010

On May 20, 2010, at 4:57 PM, John Petrich wrote:

> Am thinking that a potential solution to my problem is to get serial data directly off the Magister board and connect that serial data directly to my logging computer.  Maybe, in that way, the logging program will see a direct serial connection to the rig.   I am unable to decipher the labeling on the published schematic for the Magister DB-9 pinout, and I cannot tell if RS-232 serial data is actually connected to that DB-9 connector.  Maybe RS-232 data is connected to one of the unused headers on the Magister board? I'm at sea.

I can't help you with PowerSDR setup, but I can tell you that there is no real usable data for logging on the DB-9 connector on Magister.  That connector is used for things like PTT, Dot, Dash and other control lines.  Even if there were RS-232 on it, there is no way for Magister to know what mode or anything is being decoded because that's all done on the computer.  You have to get PowerSDR to output its rig control data on a hard serial port for you, and I'm not sure exactly how that is done.

Remember that all Magister/Mercury is doing is sending you a bunch of samples, it's the computer's responsibility to make sense of the data, including any demodulation, filtering, AGC, etc.  Any "rig control" functions are purely in the domain of the computer.

--
Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)
Xenotropic Systems
mcdermj at xenotropic.com