[hpsdr] Digital Voice and HPSDR

John Petrich petrich at u.washington.edu
Mon Nov 1 13:47:20 PDT 2010

Quite a number of you responded, on and off the reflector, to my questions.
I want to acknowledge the fine help offered by each and everyone of them:
Walt, K5WH, Tony, VK3JED, Glenn, WB6W, and good 'ol Ken, K9VV.  Thanks guys.

The take away messages for me are these:  Digital Voice (DV) should play
just fine thru the PowerSDR DSP.  The DV stream should be processed as an
odd, but otherwise manageable, audio input or output by PowerSDR.  Amateur
DV is very much "experimental", which is a great opportunity.  The
"experimental" aspects include the development and release of a robust open
source Codec that permits a higher bit rate than present systems, adoption
of the Codec by enough people to allow us to talk to someone else over the
air, and organizing around the details of getting the new software to "work"
in the real world amateur station.  There are a couple of available DV
applications, WinDRM and FDMDV that will allow one to copy shortwave
broadcast stations that use DV, and will also permit DV QSO's with similarly
equipped amateur stations.  These applications are not ideal or an end in
themselves but are important stepping stones in the development of a DV
system that someday we might use for routine communication purposes.  I
remember the very early days of SSB and wonder how lonely those hams felt
while they tried to find another ham to communicate with.

What I am going to do is to look more carefully into FDMDV and at least
monitor some SW DV broadcasts.  In the longer run, I'll keep my eyes and
ears open for the next phase in Codec development.

If anyone is interested in learning more, contact me and I can supply some
URL's that might be helpful.

Regards,
John Petrich, W7FU