[hpsdr] Excalibur Issues

Jeremy McDermond mcdermj at xenotropic.com
Wed Nov 10 12:19:42 PST 2010

I was working on some improvements to Heterodyne in the past couple of days, and noticed a significant warble to signals when I switched to SSB mode on the ham bands.  It's something that I could both hear (which made conversations unintelligible), and see on the waterfall (you could see what were supposed to be constant tones looking like sine waves).  I narrowed the issue down to Excalibur.  When I have it pulled, signals are okay, but when it's in the system, I get the warbling effect.  For fun and games, I set the Excalibur jumper to "external" without anything hooked up, and the warbling went away.

I took my MFJ-259B with a length of RG-58 cable stripped on the end to expose ground and signal (I know, not a real precision instrument) and measured the frequency at TP2 (the output of the Crystek), and was measuring 50 MHz.  I'm wondering if I have a bad TCXO, or whether folks maybe have other ideas (cue making fun of the software guy).

--
Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)
Xenotropic Systems
mcdermj at xenotropic.com