[hpsdr] Digital Voice and HPSDR

John Petrich petrich at u.washington.edu
Tue Nov 2 11:31:30 PDT 2010

All,

I want to follow up and correct mis-information imbedded in my comments to
the reflector copied below.   I want to attribute these clarifications to
off-reflector discussions with Tony, VK3JED, and Kirk, K6KAR.  The purpose
of these follow up comments is to stimulate interest in other operators to
try the DV mode.  Also, I cannot believe I am the only one so clueless
regarding DV, and I hope my thoughts might help others.

The various DV software applications, DRM, FDMDV, WinDRM, plus others, are
best viewed essentially the same as one views the various PSK related
digital modes.  These applicatons are not interoperable.  I thought that
they were interoperable, like various versions of the Windows OS are
interoperable.  No.  Each DV mode is unique.

Another wrong assumption was that I thought that DRM = DV on the PowerSDR
GUI for HPSDR.  Not so.  It is best to approach DV on HPSDR the same way one
would approach any of the non-DV digital modes.  In essence all one needs is
to enable the proper pathway for digital operation in PowerSDR, enable VAC
and enable the proper DV software application.  The remaining challange is
to try and find someone to talk to.  The calling frequency for 20 meters is
14.236 MHz.

It seems that DV operation is within reach of any of us who want to try DV,
the same way that PSK, Olivia, etc are in reach.

Hope to see some of you on DV, soon.

John Petrich, W7FU