[hpsdr] ghpsdr installation on ubuntu karmic koala - tentative summary v0.1

Erich Heinzle vk5hse at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 26 07:57:43 PDT 2010

this is essentially what I did to get ghpsdr compiled and running on a freshly installed and updated installation of karmic koala ubuntu linux

It was a fresh install of ubuntu since upgrading debian to squeeze
killed my nvidia support :-( But the ubuntu installation has made it
all better now :-)

bring up a shell i.e.command prompt

sudo apt-get install subversion

this installs subversion, which allows you to download sourcecode snapshots from developers, as it was not installed by default on my system

sudo svn co svn://64.245.179.219/svn/repos_sdr_hpsdr/trunk/N6LYT/ghpsdr

this will place a directory with a snapshot of the current version
of ghpsdr in your home directory called, strangely enough, ghpsdr

cd ghpsdr/

now we enter the DttSP directory to make a DttSP library

cd DttSP/

sudo make

with that done, we now go back up into the ghpsdr directory

cd ..

sudo mv libDttSP.a libDttSP.a.old

sudo cp DttSP/libDttSP.a .

this puts the DttSP library you just made into the ghpsdr
directory for the final build process

you'll need to install everything gtk2 related using aptitude
such as gtk-blah-blah-blah-devel libraries or you'll get an
error when trying to run make along the lines of

"gtk/gtk.h No such file or directory"

you'll also need to download libusb-1.0 since the version installed
with ubuntu Karmic Koala (v0.1) does not seem to be compatible

you can download the gzipped tarball from

http://sourceforge.net/projects/libusb/files/libusb-1.0/

then

sudo gunzip libusb-1.0.8.tar.gz
sudo tar xvf libusb-1.0.8.tar
cd libusb-1.0.8/
sudo make
sudo make install

this should have built and installed libusb-1.0.x, now

cd

return to your home directory

cd ghpsdr/

let's try and make ghpsdr

sudo make

this should have built ghpsdr for you. Let's find it:

cd bin

and now we run the newly built binary:

./ghpsdr

and you should then have the software up and running.

you will need to configure the USB devices, as per the wiki FAQ, i.e.

create a text file containing:

SUBSYSTEMS=="usb",ATTRS{idVendor}=="fffe",ATTRS{idProduct}=="0007",SYMLINK+="ozy",MODE="666"

called 90-ozy.rules in the directory /etc/udev/rules.d

Apologies for any typos, but this seems to fill in a few blanks in the wiki
and might save others from reinventing the wheel +/- break something.
You have been warned!!

People, please feel free to correct any errors.

I now need to go and plug the HPSDR into this freshly configured desktop
PC and see what happens..... Ubuntu on the netbook just didn't cut it :-)

Regards,

Erich Heinzle
VK5HSE