[hpsdr] Further Observations on the PowerSDR Noise Blanking Process

Mike F mikecf100 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 08:04:29 PDT 2011

I made a posting couple of weeks ago on a noise floor phenomena where
the noise floor across the displayed band varied up and down with the
presence or absence of strong in-band signals.  Phil Harman explained
that it had to do with the NB and NB2 functions in PowerSDR.  At that
time I had it in mind that these functions might be making the noise worse.

Recently the noise floor has been quite high at my QTH (S5) and I have
determined the following.

As I turn the NB and NB2 functions on, the noise floor drops
significantly.  When a strong signal within the band increases amplitude
the noise floor noticeably increases, dropping when the signal decreases
or goes away.  I don't believe that the noise floor ever gets as high as
it is without the NB-NB2 functions turned on, but it does vary.

Based on these observations I would surmise that the noise blanking is
applied to the whole 192kHz (in my case) bandwidth (as a time domain
function???) and if there is a significantly large signal within the
band, the blanking threshold/algorithm becomes less sensitive to the
lower amplitudes.

Can anyone out there confirm or deny my suppositions?

Thanks.

Mike Fager, K7SR