[hpsdr] SDR Patent application that will kill hpsdr

Bruce Perens bruce at perens.com
Mon Aug 8 14:53:53 PDT 2011

On 08/08/2011 01:49 PM, Erik Anderson wrote:
>  One thing that might be good is that (as long as we don't make any
> changes) that suing someone for patent infringement when that exact
> infringement could be considered "prior art" is hopefully not
> considered a healthy thing to do?
The American Intellectual Property Law Association's/Economic Survey
/has placed the cost of prosecuting or defending a patent case at
somewhere above USD$5 Million. The effect of this is that the party with
the deepest pockets wins by default and the other party has to accept
their license. There is no justice for those who can't afford to spend
lots of time in court. Patent claims that have little chance of standing
a court challenge are regularly used to extract significant license fees
from hapless victims.

A proper reply to the application is indeed based upon the language of
the claims rather than the abstract. There is no law that prevents you
from sending a certified letter to the applicant the moment you become
aware of an application, not two months later, and this letter can be
considered as evidence that the applicant was informed of prior art in
any later litigation.

Technically, an applicant who files without citing prior art of which
they are aware is a perjurer. Theoretically there is a potential of jail
time for perjurers. Unfortunately, USPTO disbanded their enforcement
department in 1974, and there have been no perjury prosecutions of
applicants since then, only "inequitable conduct" which can be
significant for the attorney or patent agent involved but the only peril
for the applicant is that they lose their patent. So, there is really no
downside for someone who attempts to shake down others with an invalid
patent, except that they might not succeed.

     Thanks

     Bruce