[hpsdr] one Metis down...

Jeremy McDermond mcdermj at xenotropic.com
Sun Feb 20 11:23:47 PST 2011

On Feb 20, 2011, at 10:52 AM, Joe Martin K5SO wrote:

> The Metis board is quite happy once again.  All in all working on this problem was a positive experience for me since I now know how to use my blaster cable, in a couple of different ways even, and have learned much more about what really goes on with the boards (working and non-working).

If you're using the byteblaster method, you need to use caution.  There are two different files for programming the board.  There's one with only the Metis code in it, and there's a "merged" file that contains the Metis code, and the Bootloader code.  If you only program the Metis code, your board will work fine under normal operations but if you try to use anything that requires you put J2 on the Metis board, it will no longer function (J2 essentially tells the FPGA which firmware to load off of the flash chip).

The last time I recall, there was no sof for the merged file, only a pof.  It was called output_file.pof.  You'll know it in the Altera programmer because when you open up the file you'll see two segments in the list that appears in the center of the window.

So, I'd check with Phil to make sure you got the right file.  I don't recall if the merged .pof file has been released anywhere publicly.

--
Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)
Xenotropic Systems
mcdermj at xenotropic.com