[hpsdr] one Metis down...

Joe Martin K5SO k5so at valornet.com
Sun Feb 20 14:09:08 PST 2011

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for that bit too!   I think you must mean JP1, not J2?  JP2
holds the speed to 100T, I believe.

Puzzling.  I don't know if I'm experiencing what you are cautioning or
not.

I do notice that the Bootloader section of the HPSDRProgrammer program
does not function (actually, I've never had that part of
HPSDRProgrammer work for me anyway).  What is a bit confusing to me is
that if I use the Quartus II Programmer with a blaster cable attached
to the SCONFIG header in order to load code into the EEPROM the Metis
image file that it wants is Metis.pof.

However, if you use the HPSDRProgrammer and try to update the EEPROM
the file that the program seems to want Metis.rbf, not a .pof file.
The file it seem to want is the same Metis.rbf file that I used
earlier and successfully to load the RAM (but, of course, that results
in volatile code that disappears upon power cycling).  In my
incomplete understanding, I would've thought that the HPSDRProgrammer
in Bootloader mode should be looking for a .pof file, not a .rbf file.

Metis.pof works successfully in the sense that PSDR runs fine and
reports Ozy v1.8 when running with the Metis board after I've loaded
the EEPROM with Metis.pof.

If others find a different behavior for HPSDRProgrammer in Bootloader
mode than what I describe above I'd like to know that; in particular,
does the Bootloader actually use the Metis.rbf file successfully or
not?  Mine does not, nor does HPSDRProgrammer in Bootloader mode work
with the Metis.pof file that does work on the Metis board when the
EEPROM is loaded using the Quartus II Programmer.  At least I have a
way to load the EEPROM that does work (i.e., Quartus II Programmer w/
blaster cable into SCONFIG header).

Joe K5SO