[hpsdr] Penny FPGA Load

Joe Martin K5SO k5so at valornet.com
Wed Jul 13 06:53:13 PDT 2011

Hi Gordon,

Sorry to hear that you're still having trouble with your Penny FPGA
load.  For what it's worth, I have had some interesting times using
the HPSDR programmer here to load my FPGAs too.  In fact, I have to
use two different versions of HPSDR Programmer depending upon whether
I am loading Metis or Mercury/Penny.

As it happens on my particular computer system, for Metis I must use
v1.4 of the HPSDR Programmer whereas for Mercury or Penny I must use
v1.0 of the HPSDR Programmer.  HPSDR Programmer v1.4 does not find the
Merc/Penny on "Interrogate" and HPSDR Programmer v1.0 does not detect
any Metis board present.  This particular situation isn't true for
anyone else that I know of, however.

Also, I have had on occasion had an apparently successful loading of
the FPGA in Mercury or Penny using the HPSDR Programmer but, as in
your case, when powering it up afterward the Penny (or Mercury) fails
to come up.  To recover from this I simply re-did the FPGA loading
procedure using HPSDR Programmer (v1.0 in my case for Penny/Mercury)
and everything works okay the second time even through re-powering of
the Penny/Mercury after the FPGA loading was completed.

Of course, make sure that you have no other boards on the Atlas bus
except your Penny and Metis boards and that Penny is closest to the
power plug and has the "Last JTAG" jumper installed on it and that J1
on Metis is in place during the FPGA load and removed when testing
Penny (as I believe you did).

So,

1)  if you haven't tried simply re-doing the FPGA load from scratch
you might try that.

As an alternative method, do you have a Byte Blaster cable to enable
you to load the FPGA using the Quartus II Programmer?

As a note, John Melton has kindly offered to help me figure out what
is happening with the HPSDR Programmer on my particular system but,
although I have downloaded the WireShark program, I haven't taken the
time to learn how to use it to get him the necessary diagnostic
feedback info yet.  Truthfully, it hasn't been a high priority here
since I do have a scheme to use the two versions to get what I need
done, hihi.

Maybe others on the reflector have better suggestions for you, Gordon.

73,  Joe K5SO