[hpsdr] External speaker with Mercury

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 18:36:37 PDT 2011

I happen to have a pair of self powered studio monitors.  These were
designed for people mixing audio in a home recoding studio or maybe
cutting video.  The quality is possable overkill for our narow band
signals but the efect of sending mono to a pair of quality stereo
monitor that are set up, aimed and positioned "correctly" is that the
sound seems to come from a point in space about 24 inches in front of
my nose.   Human hearing is such that if you concentrate on the
location of a sound you can hear it better out of the background.  so
speakers that can project sound to some location do work far better
then some cheap $5 driver in a makeshift enclosure.   I think good
stereo headphones have the same exact effect at lower cost.

You can also buy just one of these and have very god mono sound but
loose the imaging effect.  Anything like this will do well
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Rokit5G2/
Idoubt many people want to spend $300+ on a pair of studio monitors
just for this use but if you are also into music recording or just
watching vedios on your computer screen then the price is resonable

On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 6:21 PM, jim KI6NJF <ki6njf at verizon.net> wrote:

> Awhile ago I picked up 3 of these 15 watt sterio 12VDC powered amps for
> another seller in Taiwan.  Don't beleive the 180 watts BS their only 10 to 12
> watts.  They work well for integrated amps but do suffer from power-on "pops" I
> also don't like the flashing blue led behind the controls, but that easily
> snippable.
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/Home-Hi-Fi-Audio-Stereo-Car-Digital-Power-Amplifier-
> AMP-/200603935758?pt=Car_Amplifiers&hash=item2eb4ed240e
>
> haven't delt with that seller
>
> 73s
>
> jim
> ki6njf
> On Wednesday, June 08, 2011 03:42:09 PM Luke Steele wrote:
>>
>> When I originally set up my HPSDR, I used a pair of amplified computer
>> speakers. Whilst this was ok, I did experience RF feedback. In addition,
>> the speakers were still active when I used headphones.
>>
>> So, I fitted a small amplifier module and loudspeaker inside the Pandora
>> enclosure.
>> The amplifier I used was a Kemo #M31 3.5W universal amplifier module. It
>> may be better to knock up an amplifier using an LM-380, or similar,  but
>> the Kemo module was there on the shelf in the electronics store so I
>> grabbed it.
> [snip]
>
> --
> 73s