[hpsdr] win 7 x64 error PowerSDR driver - help needed second attempt

Georg Prinz getpri at t-online.de
Thu Mar 3 07:24:27 PST 2011

Hello Everyone,

I am still struggling to get Joe's diversity18 system into operation on
win7 x64bit OS with adapted PowerSDR program and OZY board for
communication.

In the meantime I found porttalk.sys in Joe's release folder and copied it into \windows\system32\drivers. Unfortunately with no result (as I expected). The error messages are the same.
Nevertheless driver loading should be automatically done.

The system device manager says, that LibUSB-Win32 Devices by FlexRadio/OpenHPSDR.org/Acquisition Logic is working properly.

Furthermore, on both mercury boards, the led for "fpga loaded properly2 is on. The two most left leds indicating "code running" are blinking.

I hope that this second attempt will reach someone with a window 7 x64 system to give me support.

Following history:

- I am using signed driver by K9TRV downloaded form "repos hpsdr kiss"
6.1 into Penelope without any problems and errors

Results:

1st check starting initozy11.bat and redirect standard error to a file
shows following situation:

- PID and VID recognized
- loadFW ozyfw-sdr1k.hex succeeded (UploadFirmware returns 742)
- LoadFPGA succeeded (114963 bytes transferred)
- writeI2C 0xfffe 0x7 0x1a ..... failed is correct, for no Janus board
- writeI2C 0xfffe 0x7 0x1b ..... all 8 calls succeeded for penny

2nd check starting PowerSDR.exe and redirect standard error to a file
shows following situation:

- Error message :"Invalid firmware level is loaded ozy v16, pen. v12 and
merc. v27 and PowerSDR stops
- Output on standard error channel:
   -- PortTalk: Unknown error while starting PortTalk driver service
   -- Does PortTalk.SYS exist in your \System32 Drivers Directory?
   -- Couldn't access PortTalk Driver, Please ensure driver is loaded
   -- Error occured during outportb while talking to PortTalk driver 6

3rd check starting PowerSDR.exe --no-firmware-version-check 2>&1>
log.txt showing  following situation:
- PowerSDR is more or less running with noise floor about -130dBm
- Output on standard error channel:
   -- same as above plus
	--- using Ozy/Janus callback
	--- version:>20090524<
         --- sa: samples_per_block: 2048
	--- fx2: 20090524
	--- Ozy: 0
	--- merc: 0
	--- penny: 0
	--- Firmware ver check forced good!
	--- OzyBulkRead failed rc=-116

The System32 folder does not contain PortTalk driver so far I can see.
The same under SysWOW64 folder.

I also tried different USB port and shorter USB cable (5m and 1,5m)

The harwardware seems to be ok. Otherwise PowerSDR wouldn't work when
started with no version check.

73, Georg - dl2kp