[hpsdr] Cannot flash Mercury-EU with Metis and HPSDR

Berndt Josef Wulf wulf at ping.net.au
Mon Mar 28 06:31:04 PDT 2011

G'day,

I've been trying to upgrade a Mercury-EU card to V6.4 using the latest
version of HPSDRProgrammer running on Ubuntu 10.04 and Windows 7 64 bits
to no avail.

Metis has JP1 set
Mercury has JP5 set (last JTAG)

Running as administrator. Interrogate under the JTAG Programmer tab
returns:

Interrogating JTAG chain
Mercury - 0x020F30
found Mercury

The following reported error messages are identical for both, Windows
and Linux environment:

/home/wulf/ghpsdr3/trunk/src/release/windows/HPSDRProgrammer/Mercury_JTAG.rbf
reading file...
file read successfully
Programming device 0% written ...
Programming device 0% written ...
Programming device 0% written ...
Programming device 0% written ...
Programming device 0% written ...
Loaded successfully.
Erasing Flash ... (takes several seconds)
Error: erase timeout - power cycle and try again?

The Metis status LEDs at this time are

LED0	occasionally flashing
LED1	off
LED2	off
LED3	off
LED4	flashes 1Hz
LED5	off
LED6	on
LED7	off
LED8	on
LED9  	off
LED10	off
LED11	off
LED12	flashes 2Hz

The debug output is shown below:

Debug: MainWindow::timeout state= 9
Debug: MainWindow::timeout state= 9
Debug: MainWindow::timeout state= 9
Debug: MainWindow::timeout state= 9
Debug: status: "Error: erase timeout - power cycle and try again?"
Debug: idle
Debug: RawReceiveThread::stop

Different ATLAS boards and changed card positions have no effect keeping
both, Metis and Mercury-EU, next to each other.

Is there anything else that I could try? I'm at the end with my Latinum
and need some inspiration.

73, Berndt
VK5ABN