[hpsdr] Metis runs nicely

wully wully at bluewin.ch
Tue Mar 29 03:26:15 PDT 2011

Hi all

I have now built both Metis in my two systems and they run very
convincing with my own software (I have used John Meltons implementation
of the metis attachment from the server.exe).

Two interesting observations:
1) my RX in Zürich runs more quiet using Metis instead of Magister/Ozy.
It seems, that the Ethernet cable over a switch does induce less noise
on the mercury! That is very positive! I have not measured the
difference, but it is so big, that it was noticed immediately, by ear.

2) my TRX near Zürich uses Penelope mic input, no boost. In the
Ozy-implementation I have used I2C-writes to start the TLV320, but with
Metis, this is automatic. I have noticed, that in the spec 1.30 for
USB-data there is a new command byte
0001 001x to control this, but It seems that this is only necessary,
when one is not using the default mic, no boost.

I am very pleased, that Metis is such a success!

Thank you all again for this great work!

73, HB9EPU