[hpsdr] Yaesu Amp

Mike F mikecf100 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 12:54:58 PDT 2011

Hi Steve

I was catching up on my HPSDR messages and saw your post about Yaesu
power amp/Filter assemblies.  I have adapted the PA/Filter assembly from
a FT900 for use with my HPSDR.  The adaption was extremely easy.  All
that was necessary was one relay to perform the PPT function and two ICs
to decode three lines of the programable control lines from Penelope for
LP Filter control.  The TR switch is also part of the assembly.  In The
FT900 the 9 volts required for transmit (PA) enable is actually
generated in the PA, so no other voltages were required.

On the FT900 the top cover contains the above components, so packaging
is basically done.

The 900 PA has outputs used by the auto tuner for forward and reverse
power.  Penelope has inputs for these.  My next step is to measure what
the voltage levels are from the PA and adjust as necessary for Penny to
read and psdr to display.  I have considered trying to also adapt the
auto tuner.  However, I have not yet tackled the problem of figuring out
how much the FT900 main controller is involved in the auto tuning
process.  There is also a auto tuner controller, but I haven't started
figuring out the division of labor between the two.

My Penelope was one that was assembled with the output transformer
reversed.  I believe it causes the PA not to be driven to full output on
20 meters.  60-65 watts max.  However, it will more than drive to full
output on 80 meters (I briefly saw about 150 watt from the 100 watt PA).
  I plan on getting a new transformer and then trying to reverse the
installed one without melting it.

Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.  I have a rough
schematic of my logic decoding circuit.

Thanks

Mike Fager, K7SR