[hpsdr] Mercury Spurious Emissions

Luke Steele mail10 at barefoothorse.com.au
Sun Sep 11 20:43:33 PDT 2011

At 07:56 PM 11/09/2011 -0700, Erik Anderson wrote:

> I can't really comment because I run on batteries

Running on batteries, grid electricity, wind power, genset, or a thermonuclear
power plant will make no difference to the RF issues being discussed.

Just listen on air, or trawl the WWW to find plenty of good and bad
information
on "Earthing Your Station".
RF ground, lightning discharge, and safety ground are slightly different.
One website with some good info is Owen's VK1OD.
http://vk1od.net/
There's a search field to assist you in finding what you want in Owen's
extensive info.

In my station I run an aluminium strap behind the desk with all equipment
ground terminals connected with a short wire. The strap runs outside to an
earth stake under the verandah gutter down pipe where it is nearly always wet,
and several counterpoise wires laid on the ground, and it is also connected to
one of the earth radial system wires for my vertical antenna 25 metres away.
This seems to work for me!

I don't seem to have any troublesome "RF issues in the shack". All my signal
and control lines are in shielded cable.

Regards,
Luke VK3HJ