[hpsdr] My PA & Alex

Al K0VM al.k0vm at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 12 07:10:54 PDT 2011

Chris,
     It is likely that your PA is not "unconditionally stable"..  That
is to say oscillation free into loads of any impedance....
Yes it is stable into a 50 ohm load ( a wide band load) and yes the Alex
is nearly 50 ohm at your operating frequency.. But like all LC filter
devices, Alex  is far from 50 ohms at is reject frequencies.   Usually
there is very little that can be done external to the PA to resolve the
problem.   I have no ideas for what might have to be done internal to
the PA to fix the problem.

    My limited experience with this issue has been with VHF PA and
duplexers where changing the length of coax between the PA and the
filter resolved the issue (rotated the phase of the off frequency
reflections).  This might be beneficial for one HF band  but is likely
to require different coax lengths for each band.

    If you have spare drive available on the input to your PA,  there is
a slim chance that a resistive pad on the input to the PA might be helpful.

AL, K0VM