[hpsdr] My PA & Alex

Chris Smith chris at vspl.co.uk
Tue Sep 13 00:46:05 PDT 2011

Hi

Many thanks to all who have answered my cry for help. I have a lot to work on and am not sure where to start.

I also remembered a web page by Stephen Wilson, G3VMW, about his Star II transceiver. He used the same CCI/Motorola PA that I'm using. In it he states that he incorporated a pad (of undefined value) on the input. To quote the article "The pad improves overall system stability." He also modified the circuit to switch the bias off when in Rx mode.  See:   http://www.g3vmw.demon.co.uk/

So, I will soldier on. I have plans to remove the pad on the i/p to Pennywhistle and incorporate it in the PA with relays each end of the PA so I can by-pass it when I only want low (20W) power.

That should keep me busy and off the streets for a while.

Many thanks again. I will report progress.

73 Chris G4NUX