[hpsdr] How Do you Run KK?

Steve Bunch steveb_75 at ameritech.net
Mon Sep 26 08:59:59 PDT 2011

John,

I run KK without problems running Win7 under Parallels on Mac, but haven't tried VMWare.  Parallels USB worked well enough with Ozy to get me past a driver issue with PowerSDR installation some months ago (Ozy was recognized), but I never tried operating it that way -- I switched immediately to Metis.  As Phil notes, you can execute it by double-clicking the KISS Konsole.exe file after expanding the zip file.

On my Mac (MacBook Pro, 2.66GHz I7 processor) running Win7 under Parallels, the latest KK with waterfall and bandscope on, 192Khz wide, receiving SSB, takes a bit over one CPU worth of processing and there are data dropouts.  Dropping back to 96KHz wide drops CPU usage to about 80% or so, and it works fine.  Turning off the graphics drops it to 60% or so at 192KHz.    PowerSDR with waterfall and bandscope on run about 2/3 of a CPU, no dropouts, at 192KHz sample rate.  I usually run these programs on a Windows box, where they're much more efficient, but it's nice to have the option to run them on the Mac.

Jeremy's native Mac Heterodyne application runs about 20% of a CPU at 192KHz with bandscope and waterfall on, and the sound comes out through the Mac speakers, so I usually use it for listening.  The difference in CPU usage with the Win7 programs probably has more to do with Ethernet overhead in Parallels than anything else.

If you continue to have trouble, contact me off-list.

Steve, K9SRB