[hpsdr] Introduction and request for feedback

Mark Haun haunma at keteu.org
Thu Aug 30 17:19:32 PDT 2012

Hi everyone,

I just joined the list a couple days ago, hoping to get some feedback on a
possible SDR project I have in mind.  A bit about me:  licensed at age ten,
operated a fair bit through elementary and high school, but not much since.
I now have graduate degrees in EE and do ultrasound beamforming and
signal-path design for a living.  On the hobby side I've been dabbling more
with hardware in recent years, after discovering how easy and cheap it is to
get professional PCBs made and do SMT soldering at home.  My most ambitious
design thus far has been a Spartan-6 daughtercard for the Pandaboard (TI
OMAP4 dev board) with some A/D and D/A--still far short of the OpenHPSDR
projects' complexity, but enough to whet my appetite, so...

I'm considering a DDC/DUC-based SDR platform optimized for low-power and
[relative] simplicity, compared to more ambitious designs like OpenHPSDR
Hermes.  (Of course, I'm also hoping someone can point me to other projects
I haven't seen yet, with similar goals.)  Tradeoffs and differences versus a
board like Hermes would be (a) only one analog input and one output, (b)
slower ADC, perhaps 65 MSPS, or even lower with bandpass sampling, (c) fewer
ADC bits (probably 14), and (d) design focus on self-contained operation,
with on-board host processor and audio codec for headphones.  I intend to
aim for total system power of ~2 watts--half a watt combined for ADC and
DAC, one watt in the FPGA, and another half a watt for the host CPU and
peripherals.  Obviously this may not be achievable, but it's a good ideal.

Xilinx Zynq (28-nm FPGA fabric with dual-core Cortex A9 on chip) could be a
great platform for this, except I really don't forsee the need for
full-blown Linux and that much CPU.  I realize these things end up in cell
phones with tiny batteries, but in my experience (Pandaboard) the Linux
support packages have rather poor power-management features, and I don't
want to run Android on the thing :)  So I think 1/2 watt is likely not
achievable with that class of processor.  However, the new Cortex-M4
microcontrollers, e.g. NXP LPC43xx, are capable of quite a bit of DSP at
audio bandwidths and should be more than sufficient.  As usual, it's a
tradeoff between ease of development, and power efficiency.

So my current working plan is something like the smallest Artix-7 FPGA
(which is actually enormous), a Cortex-M4, low-power ADC, low-power DAC, one
of the TI low-power audio codecs, and perhaps a bit of SDRAM.  A four-layer
board on OSH Park's PCB service (oshpark.com, 6 mil / 6 mil trace/space).
No more than three supply rails: 3.3, 1.8, and FPGA core.  Oh, and I'm
hoping to steal some of the analog RF circuitry from an existing design, as
it's my weakest area.

I realize it could be up to a year before the 28-nm FPGA price/availability
is reasonable, but I'm not going to design this thing overnight anyhow.

Thoughts?  Probably someone has been down this path already.  I would like
to hear your suggestions, criticisms, etc.

73,

Mark KJ6PC