[hpsdr] V 2.0 FW Installation (Was hermes Initial, etc.)

Joe Giacobello, K2XX k2xx at swva.net
Sat Dec 1 13:10:54 PST 2012

Thanks for all the info, folks.

I just did install FW v. 2.0 on my TAPR Hermes board.  After downloading
the version 1.6 programmer for Windows, I discovered that I also had to
download Wincap drivers and DLLs.  (That instruction is in the VK6APH
manual and on the download page, but for some reason I kept missing the
link)

When downloading the FW file, Hermes_V2.0.rbf
</downloads/firmware/Hermes_V2.0.rbf> , I was a bit confused.  I used
the Windows "save target as" command, but the save window kept referring
to the file as a txt file and there was no other option.  I saved it as
a txt file, but tried the command several more times, and it finally did
show as an rbf file.  I have no idea why the option changed, and I can't
reproduce it on the computer that I'm using now.

The installation went well although it took about 30 seconds for the
Hermes to find its IP address.  I attempted the Discover command during
that time and the installer crashed.  I restarted it and everything went
fine from that point on.

I'm running PSDR now and thought I did see a brief freeze-up, but I'll
continue to evaluate it for an extended period.

73, Joe
K2XX