[hpsdr] Hermes cost

jim goldenberg n1kwz at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 22 18:13:32 PST 2012

Rather than argue about where to produce the boards argue the expected cost of materials. Labor at $2/hr vs $26/hr will not change the cost that much if this design has been done for automated pick and place, soldering, test, and firmware load. Remember this is not a mass produced product in the sense of an iPod, it is simply a board with SMT parts on it.

Therefore, focus on the Bill of Materials cost. I have not seen a schematic since the original post and at that time the cost would have been similar to the Mercury board alone. A complete SDR solution with Hermes should be cheaper. What has happen to drive cost to double if not triple that of Mercury?

Do we need a new effort for a Hermes Lite to drive cost back down? I would be happy to support such an effort.

Finally, as an "open" effort I also see no issue in permitting anyone to produce the product anywhere as long as that person or group licenses "as-is" with no implied support and it is non-commercial. A small license fee may be necessary. Remember, we are a community of amateur radio operators and experimenters. So, let's have fun!

Jim, N1KWZ