[hpsdr] Hermes

Jeremy McDermond mcdermj at xenotropic.com
Mon Feb 20 06:17:27 PST 2012

On Feb 20, 2012, at 5:29 AM, M B Singh wrote:

>  This radio is generating lot of interest in Indian Hams as this radio’s hardware is being developed locally

The hardware is just as "locally" developed in England, Australia, the United States and Norway.  While I really appreciate Abhi's work and enthusiasm on Hermes, we can't forget that there has been a significant amount of work done by folks such as Phil, Kevin, Kjell, Scotty and a host of others that have brought Hermes to where it is now, not to mention the work that went on with Metis, Mercury and the rest of the Atlas based pieces that made it possible.  I would object just as much to someone characterizing Hemes as being developed "locally" in the United States because Scotty is doing much of the production engineering on the project.  One of the great things in my mind about this project is the awesome collaboration that happens between folks in far flung corners of the globe.

> What If this can be assembled here in India for Indian hams so the unnecessary cost of customs duties and shipping
> Charges can be avoided.
>
> Please do something so that we can avoid paying what is avoidable.

I can't speak for the entire TAPR board, but I don't think I (as a board member) would be in favor of TAPR manufacturing boards in every different country just so that those country's citizens could save a few bucks.  The logistical nightmares would abound.  The unfortunate (or fortunate depending on your location) fact of the matter is that TAPR is based in the US and is primarily equipped to serve a US constituency.  Besides, we might have a "slippery slope" issue as well, where if we start doing manufacturing in India for Indians, we're going to have Europeans asking us to manufacture in the EU for them.  My recollection is that European VAT and Duties are in the %20-%30 range as well.  TAPR isn't equipped to deal with the complexity of parallel manufacturing in various countries let alone the marketing of such parts.

That being said, if some of the Indian hams can find a manufacturing partner in India willing to take on the logistics of production and sales, there may be a deal to be worked out with the Hermes project team to release the designs for local Indian manufacture.  That will ultimately be up to all of those who have had a hand in its development.  I don't yet know whether the initial project documentation release will be under OHL or NCL.  That may figure into the equation as well.

I would think that if you, Ahbi, or any of the other hundreds of hams in India that would buy Hermes were to line up the manufacturing, the project leaders would probably work out something to make it work.

--
Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)
Xenotropic Systems
mcdermj at xenotropic.com