[hpsdr] Hermes

Abhi A abhiarunoday at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 10:19:34 PST 2012

Hi Bhanu,

Hermes is a group effort of the entire OpenHPSDR community, the developers
in specific are Kevin M0KHZ, Kjell LA9CY, Phil VK6APH, Graham KE9H, myself
and Scotty WA2DFI,

While the schematics are based on an amalgamation of the Pennylane,
Mercury, Metis, excalibur and are a group effort from the developers and
the OpenHPSDR community, the PC software for Hermes has been developed by
Doug W5WC, Bill tracey KD5TFD, Joe K5SO, John G0ORX, Phil VK6APH, Jeremy
NH6Z, Bob Cowdery and many other software developers...most PC platforms
are available open source.

It is also important to point out that the FPGA firmware code for Hermes
was written by Phil VK6APH and he owns the intellectual property rights for
the same, similarly I was responsible for developing the PCB for Hermes and
own the copyright for it.

So to sum up the IP for Hermes is partially open source but parts of it are
also owned by individuals and it is up to the developers to decide as to
who manufactures the boards, traditionally TAPR has been kind enough to
help with the production and distribution of all projects of the OpenHPSDR
community, however, recently other commercial manufacturers have taken up
production of the boards as well.

I for one am open to the idea of splitting production as long as there is
substantial interest and it does not hurt TAPRs investment in promoting
OpenHPSDR, I have a couple of Hermes Beta PCBs spare and can give you one
as long as you are up to the challenge of soldering the SMDs :) (maybe you
could help in the development effort by providing an end user review),
however, I do recognize that I cannot extent this offer to all my ham
friends in India and elsewhere and your point is well taken.

There is an extruded Aluminum Housing and a 15W amplifier cum LPF board
which I have designed and these would be available soon locally and for
Hams elsewhere,

73
Abhi