[hpsdr] Looking for a Procedure for using Terasic USB Blaster to Upgrade Firmware

Phil Harman phil at pharman.org
Fri Jan 13 17:41:06 PST 2012

Hi Bob,

Since you have a USB Blaster cable you can eliminate all the programming
steps needed to make the FX2 on Ozy look like an Altera USB Blaster.

Assuming you have connected the USB Blaster cable to the JTAG header on the
board you wish to program then just run the Altera  Programmer code with the
file name you want to use e.g. to program Mercury with V3.1 then make sure
you are in the \USBBlaster_Binaries directory, open a DOS window and enter

c:\altera\11.1sp1\qprogrammer\bin\quartus_pgm -c USB-Blaster
mercury_v3.1.cdf

Please note that I have not tested Quartus V11.1sp1 as yet since I'd rather
others find any bugs before moving to that version. I'm currently using
V11.0sp1.

You can also program the flash memory directly rather than via the JTAG ,
see the --help file for information as to how this is done.

If you intend to use the USB Blaster cable for all future code upgrades then
I suggest you learn how to use the GUI version of the programmer
(quartus_pgmw.exe) since, once you have mastered it, its easy to use.

Hope that helps.

73 Phil...VK6APH