[hpsdr] Metis hang

Abhi A abhiarunoday at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 02:01:27 PDT 2012

Hi Phil,

I agree it could also be an FPGA timing issue, however, the problem
seems to be better when using a
fan with metis which means it could be thermal issue as well, if that
is the case then we would need to compare the Gerbers of Metis
with the Micrel evaluation board to see if the thermal dissipation
provided to the Mosfet is similar on both boards,

The problem being resolved by reverting to a previous firmware could
mean this is a software issue so I guess we need to look at both
possible sources of the problem,

73s,
Abhi

Not sure that I agree. This part is used on the Micrel PHY evaluation
board and I ran it at 1000T for days on end without any problems.

I also ran 1000T on my Metis board whilst developing the code and whilst
U15 does get very hot it is still well within specs.

I have had a report of this problem being cured by reverting to previous
versions of Metis, Mercury and Penelope code.

In which case it may be a timing issue that is exaggerated when the FPGA
gets hot.

I can't reproduce this problem, and my boards run for many hours on end.

A Wireshark trace would be helpful since we would be able to see if its
Metis or Mercury that is stopping sending data.

73 Phil...VK6APH