[hpsdr] Using CW Skimmer with HPSDR - the good oil!

Steve Ireland vk6vz at arach.net.au
Tue Mar 20 18:23:14 PDT 2012

G'day

For those who are trying to get a HPSDR transceiver using PowerSDR to work
with CW Skimmer, I discovered you need to do no more than follow the
settings which were documented by Doug, W5WC, on this reflector back on 10
December 2011.  For those who can't find this email and want to use CW
Skimmer with HPSDR, I have made it into a Word document and can email it to
you.

Like Doug, I am using PowerSDR v2.2.3, VAC v4.9.0 and CW Skimmer V1.71.

I used Doug's checklist below and discovered on CW Skimmer 1.71 that I had
not selected Virtual Audio Cable 2 as my 'Signal I/O Device' and Virtual
Audio Cable 1 as my 'Audio I/O Device'.  Simply booting up Power SDR,
selecting VAC on its 'front panel' and then booting up CW Skimmer meant that
it worked like a charm!

Using VAC (Virtual Audio Cable) software, CW Skimmer works in its 'Softrock
IF' mode, in order to preserve the transmit capabilities of the HPSDR
transceiver which are provided through PowerSDR.

Using CW Skimmer in this mode means that on its bandscope, signals will
appear each side of 0KHz (i.e. plus/minus the frequency the HPSDR
transceiver is tuned to in PowerSDR).

Using CW Skimmer with my Elecraft K3 (via a Softrock receiver tuned to the
K3's IF frequency and connected to the K3's IF output connector) Alex VE3NEA
has configured his CW Skimmer software so that the bandscope on CW Skimmer
shows the actual frequency that the K3 is tuned to (and the kHz surrounding
it).  Even better, with the K3 I can simply click on a CW signal displayed
on the CW Skimmer bandscope and instantly the K3 frequency is changed to
that of the signal

This is a considerable advance on the way that CW Skimmer has to work with
PowerSDR (and VAC) in order for an HPSDR transceiver to be able to transmit.

That being said, to me CW Skimmer is the most useful piece of software EVER
for CW DXing and its bandscope is by far the best ever. To be able to use CW
Skimmer with my HPSDR transceiver is an enormous relief.

I hear that there is now a new version of VAC (4.11), which may help CW
Skimmer to work over even a wider sampling bandwidth.  Any comments about
this would be much appreciated

Vy 73

Steve, VK6VZ