[hpsdr] off the air - tornado took out antennae

George Byrkit ghbyrkit at chartermi.net
Thu Mar 22 16:30:14 PDT 2012

Dear All,
I'm off the air since last Thursday (15 March), due to an EF3 tornado that
did light damage to the house, but took down ALL the trees on our property
(approx. 60 large, mature trees.)  With the trees went my inverted-L for
topband and my 80m skyloop (horiz loop) for 80m-10m.  Radios all work,
there's just nothing left to attach them to, and no trees left to string
wires between.

We are still cleaning up as the tree damage is almost removed from the yard.
It's been long, hot days (80F) since the tornado, and I'm only good for 8-10
hrs max.  Fortunately I have a friend who has a tree company.  He's helping
(paid of course!) remove all the trees with his crew and equipment.

We are so grateful that we survived and that the house is livable.  It has
been much worse house-wise for many of our neighbors.

I guess I'll be looking for new antenna solutions at Dayton that initially
don't involve much elevation of the antenna (vertical most likely).  Then I
hope to convince the wife that a tower should be allowed to compensate for
lack of trees.  But I don't hold my breath as a tower is considered 'ugly'
by she-who-must-be-obeyed.

73,
George K9TRV