[hpsdr] Newbie wants in :)

David McQuate mcquate at sonic.net
Sat May 26 20:35:19 PDT 2012

Hi Luke,
   The HPSDR name is "high performance" SDR, and it certainly is that.
It is also, in my opinion, high price.  (Yet low, given the performance.)
(But that's mostly a reflection on my ham radio budget.  Most commercial
ham transceivers, digital or not, fall in that category for me.)

I started working with HPSDR in September 2008,
and have gradually added hardware, while I collaborated on software.

There are several PC software options, depending on the computer
operating system you choose--especially Microsoft Windows (XP, or Seven)
or Linux.

The HPSDR is oriented more to those who want to work on the hardware and
software, AND have a superb radio.
Other SDRs may be more suitable for those who just want to get on the air.
(But check out HPSDR "Hermes" -- see below.)

On the lower-cost side are those that use quadrature sampling detectors
(and exciters), rather than broadband analog to digital converters and
digital to analog converters.
Some would say these are not quite so "all digital".  Things like
opposite sideband suppression are not quite as good--but still very
usable.  They may also be more suitable for portable or emergency power
situations.  The price might be roughly a factor of 5 lower.

   An HPSDR receiver would consist of at least
Atlas, Mercury, and either Magister or Metis (see below)
To add 1/2 watt transmit capability, add PennyLane.

Additional items might be
--transmit amplifier (Pennywhistle 15W, or others for higher power)
--switched filters
     (not needed with PennyLane, but necessary when any amplifier is used)
--power supplies
--case
--precision frequency reference

Another option is Hermes, the equivalent of Atlas, Mercury, Metis, and
PennyLane, all
on a single PC board--about $900.  (not yet in production, but maybe
only a few months away)

Current prices, at TAPR.org are:
  35    Atlas, complete kit
469    Mercury:     0-55 MHz digital down-converting receiver

199    Magister:    USB interface
or
279    Metis:       Ethernet interface

399    PennyLane:    1.8 - 55 MHz digital up-converting exciter ( 0.5 watt )

The Metis Ethernet interface is newer and has lots of potential for
enhancements,
in comparison with the Magister USB interface.

The openHPSDR.org  web site, and the associated wiki, has a large amount
of information about HPSDR, but probably not "a definitive newbies
guide."  Hopefully this note will help.  Feel free to ask any questions
on the hpsdr at openhpsdr.org email reflector.

73,
Dave
wa8ywq