[hpsdr] is Alex working

Steve Mitan stevemn at intergate.com
Sat Nov 3 15:19:27 PDT 2012

HI all.
Either Alex is not working correctly or I have no idea what I am doing.

I have the following boards: Mercury, Atlas, Alex and Metis. I do not have Penelope. I bought the HPSDR for receive only.

Mercury works fine but I am not sure if Alex is working properly. (Alex “To Receiver” is connected to Mercury.  My antenna is connected to  “ANT 1”.  The two Alex boards are connected internally. Preamp can be off or on.)

When Antenna Cltrl is not check there is no signal as if there was no antenna connected.  When the Antenna Cltrl is checked, the signal level and noise is the same as when the antenna is connected directly to Mercury.  I can see no difference. If I check Antenna Cltrl and  try different connections to Mercury or the antenna I get either no signal or a signal equal to the antenna connected directly to Mercury. I can hear the relay clicking when I change the bands.

Will Alex work only if I have Penelope?  Is Alex working properly? What am I doing wrong?
Thanks for any enlightenment.

Steve
WB3BRG