[hpsdr] No network connection to Hermes

Bill Tracey bill at ewjt.com
Tue Nov 6 07:47:07 PST 2012

How are Hermes and the computer attached.  Are
they both attached to a switch,or is it a
straight cable connection between the two?   How
does the computer get it's IP addr for this
adapter - the data you attached shows DHCP is
enabled, but showed no DNS or Gateway configured
which is sort of odd for config  from a DHCP  server.

What address (if any) have you assigned to
Hermes?    I suspect Hermes is trying to DHCP an
addr, not getting one and falling back to an
APIPA  (
<http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/protocolsdhcp/g/bldef_apipa.htm>http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/protocolsdhcp/g/bldef_apipa.htm
) addr.    Since your machine looks to be
assigned to network 10.0.0 it can't talk to
Hermes since it's sitting on an APIPA addr.

A Wireshark trace of the network when Hermes is
powered up would show whether he's getting an
addr via DHCP.  A Wireshark of pressing the start
button on PowerSDR would also be interesting to
see what the PC is sending and if it's getting any response from Hermes.

Regards,

Bill (kd5tfd)