[hpsdr] re .NET 4.x

George Byrkit ghbyrkit at chartermi.net
Thu Oct 25 14:56:49 PDT 2012

Sorry, Ken, you are in error.  Let me clear up a few things (again...)

NO ONE needs the x64 VC10 redistributable for PowerSDR or KISS!  I've said this quite a
few times, now.  The version that you need depends on the APPLICATION: both PowerSDR and
KISS are x86 (32 bit) applications, and does NOT depend on the operating system (32 bit or
64 bit OS).  So the VC10 32 bit redistributable is copied to your system by the installers
that have been prepared.  If you are using the source from the SVN, I still recommend that
you install the installer at least once to help get things set up.

And PowerSDR and KISS want the FULL .Net framework, not the client framework.

Do NOT install .Net 4.5 and think that will help you with the FULL .Net Framework 4.0.
That is not true.  Get the .Net Framework 4.0 FULL installer from Microsoft and install
it.  This has NOTHING to do with the VC10 C Redistributables package.  C is NOT part of
.Net.  Now, if you install eg VS10 Express C/C++, you will install the VC 10
redistributables. And if you install VS10 Express C# you will install the .Net 4.0 FULL
framework.

Now, if someone is using Hermann's CuSDR, 64 bit, you MAY need the VC10 redistributable
x64, but you do NOT need it for PowerSDR or KISS.

John was having a problem getting KISS installed, and having VC10 redistributables is NOT
the same as having .Net Framework 4.0 FULL installed.  There is no way to override the
installer.  It's doing its job to make sure that you have installed what is needed.

I'm sure that PowerSDR and KISS have the same requirement.  In fact, they test for either
.Net Framework 4.0 Client or .Net Framework 4.0 Full, and should be happy if either is
installed.  But it's possible that the test is coded wrong, or that there is some problem
with John's installation.

73,
George K9TRV